Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A Favorite Recipe

Today I am going to share one of my family's favorite recipes.  You can be sure that anything I share here is "kid-approved".  While most nights at least one kid grumbles about what's for dinner (like tonight as I was putting ingredients for chili in the crockpot..."eeww, I don't like chili", "can you leave out the beans", "don't put in any tomatoes"," can you make the noodles separate, 'cause that's all I'm eating") there are occasionally nights when whoops of joy erupt as I announce what's for dinner.  This is one of those.  It's often requested for birthdays or special occasions, although it's VERY easy to prepare.  Couple of words of advice:  only buy the pot roast when it's on sale (a good price is $1.99 - $2.50/lb) and the longer it cooks the better.  I make 2 pieces of meat in 2 separate crockpots for the 8 of us and usually have enough left over for 2 -3 lunch size portions. 

THREE PACKETS AND A ROAST
beef chuck pot roast (any roast will work, but these are particularly tender)
1/2 packet of dry ranch dressing mix
1/2 packet of dry Italian dressing mix
1 packet of dry brown gravy mix - mixed with 1/2 c water

spray inside of crock pot with Pam.  add meat.  sprinkle with each of the dry dressing mixes.  pour the gravy/water around sides.  cook on low about 8 hours.  then, remove meat and I prefer to pour the gravy/juices into a fat separator and let the grease settle to the top before serving.  serve with potatoes and your favorite veggie.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious, Ginger! I'll try it soon. I'm your first follower btw. Looking forward to some funny stories. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids sound like yours, I'll have to try this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you are doing this, Ginger!
    I'm going to need some advice on how to corral
    5 kids! I'm always in need of a good recipe.
    I tend to get in a rut with cooking.
    This recipe sounds great! Seems perfect for a Sunday noon meal.
    I'll have to try it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete