Thursday, April 7, 2011

Do You Have a Vacuum?

The freezer part of our fridge was starting to run warm.  The ice cream and frozen juice concentrate were melting and the frozen waffles were just "refridgerated".  The repairman came out today and was explaining that sometimes the "motherboard" malfunctions or gets a burn spot.  Sometimes the heating coils quit working.  Sometimes the fan motor blows out.  He pulled the fridge out all the way from the wall and said, "Do you have a vacuum?  I've found your problem."  The entire vent on the back of the fridge was covered with dust bunnies.  Thick dust bunnies.  When he removed the outer cover, he whistled.  "Wow.  You should see all the dust on these coils.  No wonder this thing can't stay cool.  You've got no where for the heat to escape.  It's covered with dust."  So I paid $75 for him to vacuum out the inside of my fridge.  I guess that's better than having to replace it, but WAY more embarrassing.  I would usually pull it out enough to get my broom back there and sweep the floor, but I never knew I had to actually clean the back side of the fridge.  Now I know.  And so do you!

Also - I wanted to pass on a suggestion.  I have found a company called Shirley's Prepackaged Crafts.  She sells a 9 month (Sept - May) subscription of crafts delivered to your door.  Each month you get 12 crafts along with the instructions and all the supplies needed (except glue, tape and scissors).  They are geared toward preschoolers.  Each month has a theme, a color and a shape of the month.  She also includes tips and fun snack suggestions.  You can buy just one month for $18 or you get a discount if you order all 9 months.  We have done 2 of the crafts for April and the little girls had fun.  Each one only took about 5 - 10 min.  She can be found at www.shirleysprepackagedcrafts.com  If you want to try out the May kit, you have to order by April 15th.  Isn't that a great idea?!      

I am working really hard on cutting my grocery bill WAY down.  I have been meeting with some other moms who have it all figured out.  So far I am spending about $100 less/week.  I still have some work to do, though.  My next goal is to get to Aldi and Walmart and compare prices to what I usually spend at Target and Costco.  We'll see.

Also, I'm needing a little motivation.  I signed up to do a triathlon which is happening on April 17th (didn't realize it was Palm Sunday when I registered).  Anyway, the two people I signed up to do it with have backed out - for legitimate reasons.  But now I don't want to do it, but I've paid the money, but...., but....., but...   Anybody free next Sunday who wants to do a sprint tri???

No comments:

Post a Comment