Monday, April 4, 2011

Pee Problems

What is wrong with my kids????  Seriously.  A week ago, Ben put a pillow down his pants to be funny pretending he was a fat man.  Joel said something silly then started tickling Ben, who then started laughing so hard he peed his pants and his pillow.  Really.  Have you ever peed your pillow??  Then last night I put clean sheets on Ben's bed at 8:15 PM.  At midnight, Matt took him to the bathroom like we do every night and discovered that he had already peed the bed.  It's not the peed bed that bothers me.  It's the peed bed when the sheets have only been on there for 4 hours.  Plus, I didn't see that the plastic cover I put on under the sheets had a hole in it -- so it was a peed mattress.  Not just sheets.  (which is bad enough....we have SO MUCH laundry that trying to add a load of sheets, blankets and comforters really messes with our system).

Also yesterday, Gwen (who as I have mentioned before has regressed in the potty training department) was outside naked from the waist down.  She came running in saying, "Potty!"  I rushed her to the bathroom only to discover that there was poop on her leg.  That meant that she had pooped somewhere and come in to tell me.  I cautiously retraced her steps and found a small pile on the back patio.  How disgusting is that??!!  Cleaning poop off your back porch from your daughter?!  I was so eager to get to the pile I spotted that I stepped right in a pile that I had overlooked.  I had shoes on, but still.  I have cleaned dog poop off my shoes before - and that's bad enough.  But to clean human feces off your shoe is just wrong.  What is wrong with this child?

On a positive note, Matt and I went to Cincinnati over the weekend for a homeschool convention.  It was great.  We had a fun time being away together and going to the various sessions and looking at all sorts of cool materials.  I tend to go to more of the parenting seminars than ones on actually homeschooling your kids (hmmm - maybe that's my problem!)  Anyway, on Saturday afternoon Michelle Duggar spoke.  We don't have cable, so I have only see their show one time in a hotel.  But, I have heard all about them.  I was not sure what to expect, but I was so impressed.  She had some great insight and thoughts on being a mom.  One she shared was how she keeps her voice calm and quiet.  She was convicted several years ago about yelling and since then she thinks about how when you have other people's kids in your home you don't yell at them because they might go home and tattle on you.  Well, the kids in your home do belong to someone else (God) and they won't need to tattle on you because He already knows what tone of voice is being used.  Ugh.  OK.  Great word picture for me.  She also encouraged us to praise our children 10x as often as we scold them for whoever praises our children will ultimately hold their hearts.  How true.  They will gravitate toward those that like them and let them know!

So get out there and find all the great things your kids do today....and hope they don't poop on the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment