Friday, March 4, 2011

Pink Tutu

Last weekend I attended our church's women's retreat.  It was so nice to get away and spend time with my girlfriends and have some GREAT teaching.  A noted Christian author and speaker, Cynthia Heald was the speaker.  She spoke on Becoming a Woman of Simplicity.  She was so real and dynamic and approachable.  I just wish she would move into my house and speak softly to me about what's important and what to just let go!  The most important lessons I took home were to simplify my life physically (commitments, TV viewing, computer time, cell phone usage, etc) so that I can abide with Christ.  I think that our family has done a good job simplifying.  We don't have a lot going on outside our home.  The kids all have a sport or two they play - but never more that one sport at a time.  However, things get a little hectic because sometimes that means 3 kids are involved in their "thing" on the same night.  Spring is usually a nice season for us because we don't have any baseball players and Gretta hasn't started riding yet.  Anyway, I think we have the 1st part down.  The second part - abiding in Christ - is where I am struggling.  I know it's so important and yet I find myself wanting to do it on my own.  I would encourage you to read her book(s).  Here is a link to the one she referenced.  It's her most recent.

So, why did I title today's post "Pink Tutu"??  Well, it involves a story from my day today.  This morning I took Gwen back to JC Penney to get her 2 year old pictures taken.  No barfing today.  She was healthy and ready to go.  Out of all the pictures I did find one to order and can check that off my list.  As I was leaving I announced to the kids that we were going to Costco which is right next door to Penney's.  The photographer asked about Costco.  "What do they sell?" (really??) "They have produce?  Is it a grocery store? How much is a membership?"  I didn't know the cost of the membership.  So then she hands me her business card and says, "When you get there, find out the cost of the membership and call me and tell me."  What?!?!  I don't even know this woman.  She's a single lady.  I am standing there with 4 kids in tow and she wants me to call her.  Give me a break!  I told her it would probably be better for her to call herself.  After all, I am trying to become a woman of simplicity and that was one task I just did not want to take on.  (Side note:  you can split a Costco membership with someone else.  You get 2 cards and they do not have to be for the same family!)

Today at Costco it was "super-duper sample day" (my term).  They always have samples, but today it was everything my kids love - chicken nuggets, pizza, fresh squeezed OJ, gogurt, trail mix, salted nuts, gatorade, peaches, and more.  They were happy campers.  I almost wished I had a Twitter following so I could let all my friends know about it!    

While at Costco, I had purchased Charlotte an Ariel swim suit that came with a swim t-shirt.  She wanted to try it on immediately once we got home.  As soon as Charlotte put on her suit, Gwen had to have hers on too.  "Swim too, swim too"  Both of them are pink with tutu skirts.  They stayed in their pink tutus for about an hour.  Playing, riding their little push car and even eating lunch in them (Costco frozen pizza -- $9.99 for 4 frozen cheese pizza...and they are great!).   

And, finally, I am almost out of diapers.  Can I hear a "halleluja"??  Gwen has been dry on her own initiative for several days now.  Even #2 is making it into the potty.  She has been the easiest one I have ever had (and the earliest).  Love it!  (Better not get too prideful or the Lord will put me back in my place, huh?)

1 comment:

  1. Obviously your simple life means you're no longer texting. I feel left out that I didn't get in on the super sample day. Sigh. Maybe you could leave something else out and text me next time??? :-)
    Seriously, sounds like the retreat was great, and the book sounds like it's worth having!
    And yay for no more diapers! BUT. . . you've now joined the "it never takes us less than 15 minutes in the bathroom" club. It's a special club only for those of us with three or more girls :-) There may be times you wish they were BACK in those diapers. . . . .

    ReplyDelete