Thursday, March 24, 2011

Sometimes You Just Can't Win...

...And sometimes you can!  As for the "can't win"...Yesterday I was in the shower when I realized that there was no conditioner in there.  I took the empty bottle and tried my best to make some more by swishing water around in the bottle.  I did not have much success because that had already been done a couple of times before.  When I got out of the shower, I went to grab my towel only to realize that my choice was between a wet towel or a hand towel.  There was nothing else left in the bathroom.  I choose the hand towel, although after drying off one arm it was no better than the wet towel. 

The day did get better (not that I don't love my kids....really, I do!) Joel and Ben are spending a few days at their grandparent's.  They are working to earn a little money because there is a Lego store opening here in a few weeks.  So I am down by 2.  This was also the same day that Charlotte had Mom's Day Out.  So for this one morning, I had just Gwen.  What a treat!  Do you know how much you can get done with just one kid in tow?  Do you know how clean your house stays when there are just 1 or 2 little kids around?  You clean it and it stays that way for several hours.  Usually I am satisfied if it stays tidy for 20 minutes.  I could get used to my older kids being gone during the day....hmmmm.....school???  Is that what it's like when your kids go to school all day??  'Cause that could be really appealing!

Here's a recipe for you, too.  It's yummy and easy.  I would suggest buying the boneless, skinless chick thighs at Costco.  They are usually $1.99/lb.  Plan on at least 2 thighs per person, more if you have big eaters.

Sticky Chicky
16 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
Sauce:
1/2 c BBQ sauce
1/4 c reduced sodium soy sauce
1/4 c red wine vinegar
1/4 honey or maple syrup (or I have even used brown sugar)
1 T chili powder
1 T dijon mustard
1 T grated gingerroot or 1 t dried ginger
2 t minced garlic (about 2 cloves)

1 T cornstarch mixed with 1 T water

preheat oven to 400.  spray 9x13 with Pam.  arrange chicken in pan in single layer.  whisk all sauce ingredients together (not the cornstarch mixture).  pour over chicken and turn pieces to coat evenly.  bake uncovered about 40 min. 

remove chicken from pan.  pour sauce into a sauce pan.  add cornstarch mixture.  bring to a boil over medium heat.  cook until bubbly and thickened.  Serve with rice and extra sauce on the side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment