Thursday, February 24, 2011

Potty Training

Well, this week has been interesting!  I decided I would take some old costume jewelry I had plus a watch to the place in town that buys gold and see if I could make a little spending cash.  I had my hopes set high.  Too high.  I have sold some old gold chains and earrings that are missing the match and done pretty well.  I had heard the man mention that he also bought good costume jewelry.  So, in I marched with my treasures.  He took one look at them and said, "Do you have small children at home?"  I answered that I did.  He then said, "Take these things home and let them play with them.  They aren't worth anything."  Bummer.  All my hopes dashes.  Just like that.

Gwen has started potty training.  That's one of my least favorite parenting tasks.  I am a firm believer in the "Naked and Elbow Grease" method of potty training.  Meaning that I leave their pants off because it makes them realize that they need to do something about the stuff coming out from between their legs.  The only problem with that is when they don't make it to the potty.  Yesterday we had 1.5 pee accidents and 1 poop accident.  I have to tell you, though, that the poop thing was not entirely her fault.  Yes, it came out of her body.  But, in all fairness, she was bending over and squatting down to pick something up when all of a sudden she tooted....and out came a bit of poop, too.  I don't think she knew it was coming.  At least it was on the hard floor and not the carpet.

Since my last few posts have been about Gwen, I thought I should fill you in on the happenings of the other 5 children who occupy our home.  We don't want one to feel more important than another.

Kyle, who is in 8th grade, has been trying to decide what his feelings are about high school.  I can tell you that I don't feel old enough to have a high school student, but nonetheless, we have been weighing our options.  I think we have settled on him staying at the local public school.  He's comfortable there...and the boy thrives on comfort. 

Now, I have to brag on my eldest daughter.  Last Sunday Gretta stayed  home from church because she had been running a fever the night before.  So off we went for 2 hours leaving her at home.  When we walked in the door at 11:30, there on the neatly-set table, was brunch.  She had made the entire meal (pancakes, fruit salad and fruit smoothies) by herself and timed it out so that it would be ready when we got home. 

Joel is feeling much better since my post about the mystery illness.  He's back to himself and is completely immersed in basketball.  He dribbles in the garage when it's raining and is outside every free moment when it's not. 

Ben is also playing basketball.  He's in a league with 1st and 2nd graders and being that he is a VERY TALL and THICKLY built boy, he's much taller than the other kids he plays against.  My husband even commented that Ben could have tooted and knocked one particularly scrawny kid over.  He looks like a moose out there! 

Charlotte is becoming Gwen's little mother.  They have giggle fits (and cat fights).  She LOVES to go to school...which is only a mom's day out program one day/week for 3 hours! 

Oh, and I better give you another "Gwen-ism":  "wub ew"....especially cute when she tacks on "mommy" at the end.  "Wub ew, mommy".  I love you, too, Gwennie!

No comments:

Post a Comment